Sunday, May 15, 2011

Quick Foods

Ok, most of the things you need to eat on this diet take a little forethought, but there are some exceptions.  Also, there are some things that I've found work on the strict diet that probably shouldn't.  I was very strict at first, though,  and then I experimented, one thing at a time, once I wasn't in as much pain anymore.  I would suggest that strategy.  Then you know what affects you and what doesn't.

There are some things that I do for a quick meal (with the strict diet in mind):

-Boar's Head cold cuts don't have fillers in them.  And a lot of them don't have sugars in them.  There is usually a brochure at the deli, so you can see what is in them.  Sometimes, I just put some Boar's Head roast beef, or whatever, in a ziplock, and there's my lunch.

-Stouffer's Spinach Souffle is the only frozen meal that I've found that works on the strict diet.  I've found a few things, but very few, that work on the liberal diet (meaning, if you aren't needing to lose weight), and I will sometimes eat those.  I'll post those another day.

-Protein Shake:  I guess, strictly speaking, this shouldn't count on the strict diet, but it's never slowed down my weight loss, so I include it.  Everyone is different:
*1/2 cup of sugar-free vanilla ice cream (the Carb Smart kind is awful, though; I buy Dreyer's)
*A tablespoon of sugar-free almond butter (because I don't like peanut butter, but if you want peanut butter, make sure it is sugar-free)
*a cup or so (I don't measure) of cream.
Blend.  Drink.  Mmmm.

-Zone Bars.  Okay, I only use these in an emergency, but they are balanced well and have saved me from a hypoglycemic crash many times.  Some bars out there have a ton of sugar, so you can't just eat any protein bar.

-Ricotta cheese with cinnamon or nutmeg and Splenda.

-Pre-cooked, microwavable bacon.  It's not as good as regular bacon, but it is good in a rush, especially in the morning before work.  Incidentally, some bacons have a lot of sugar.  I try to buy the kinds that don't- hard to find- but, I also find that it seems to cook off, or at least it doesn't affect me.

-Blue Cheese salad (originally, this was an appetizer recipe with everything on endive leaves, but the fast version is to make a salad):
*Romaine lettuce
*Blue cheese crumbles
*Walnuts
*Dried cranberries (not on the strict diet, so you can leave them out)
*Balsamic vinegar, reduced (I often won't even reduce it- it's better when it is, but I don't always have the time or energy for it).

-Boar's Head Salad:
*Romaine Lettuce
*Your favorite Boar's Head meat, cut up into small pieces
*Your favorite allowed dressing (or just olive oil, or oil and vinegar).

-Cheeseburger (sans bun):
*Burger
*Cheese
*Sugar-free ketchup (it's out there)
*Homemade or sugar-free mayo (I'll give the recipe for homemade one of these days).
*Sugar-free bread-and-butter pickles
Obviously, you can vary it however you want.

Ok, so that's a start.   I'm sure I'm missing things.   I will try to post at least something every other day during the summer (since I have more time).   I'd like to get a good "recipe book" on here eventually.

2 comments:

  1. I just found your site because, I also have Fibro. I am changing the way I eat to try and make myself better. I noticed you are using artifical sweetners. That is on of the main things they say NOT to use. Did you find this doesn't bother you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the late reply. I just hadn't given them up yet, so I couldn't tell the difference. I'm just barely giving them up this week. I will write about that today or tomorrow. I suspect it has made a difference, but I just wasn't ready to give it up (mostly the diet soda- sigh).

    Let me know how it goes for you.

    ReplyDelete