Sunday, June 12, 2011

Lemon Cream Chicken and Yoga

Not together, but I got your attention.

Lemon Cream Chicken
This is super fast.  I had it for lunch.  I didn't even bother making vegetables with it, because I was hungry and tired and didn't care if it was balanced.  So there.  This recipe is for 1-2.  I ate it all, truth be told.

-2 chicken breasts
-butter, maybe 1-2 T (I know, I know, but I warned you I don't measure)
-1 T lemon juice (I use the little plastic lemon containers with juice in them, because, frankly, it hurts my hands to squeeze a fresh lemon)
-1 cup cream
-salt to taste

Heat the pan to medium.  As it is heating, I just stand a stick of butter up in the pan and let it melt down a bit, which is why I don't know the measurement.  Sauté the chicken breasts in the butter until each side is a little golden.  Mix the cream, lemon, and salt in a bowl.  Add to the pan with the chicken.  Lower the temperature to low.  Stir occasionally.  Let bubble and simmer until the cream mixture looks a bit like carmel (at least in color) and the chicken is cooked through.  Ta-da.  Quick, indulgent lunch.

Afterthought: sautéing onions with the chicken first would have been awesome.  I will do that next time.

Yoga
So, yesterday I was in a bad mood.  My daughter is at her dad's, and that's always hard.  It's that time of the month- yes, TMI, but it explains part of my mood.  I didn't go to the gym for a couple of days because of this mood, which didn't help.  So, I went out and got a shake.  I know better.  And I knew I had a church meeting at 9 am that I would likely miss if I went and had a shake (I got onion rings, too, as long as I was blowing it).  Really dumb.  So, half-repentant before I went to bed, since I really didn't want to miss church, I thought about the yoga classes I have been going to lately.

I have noticed that when I do yoga, my pain decreases.  So, for instance, when I am eating perfectly, I usually still have lingering pain in my hands and forearms; that's just how it is.  I'm used to it and most days it isn't unbearable.  But, after yoga, sometimes it goes all the way away.  Same with pains other places, if I'm having them.  I've also noticed that on days my gym has yoga right after Zumba, if I do both, I don't pay for the Zumba class like I normally do.

Anyway, back to the story.  I ran through some poses before bed, and I actually woke up early (usually, I will sleep 2-3 extra hours for something like that) without a hangover or any extra pain.  Now, one miracle yoga session is not a scientific study, and I'm not positive if I want to do one, unless my daughter wants to make it her science fair project or something worthwhile.  I AM NOT advocating screwing up your eating and then doing yoga to save you, because there are several reasons why this is a bad idea.  I won't go into them, because by now, I'm sure you know what they are.  But, I am saying that yoga has helped, and it really helped me out last night.  So, keep that in mind.

And here's an article I read recently that backs me up:
http://www.drcutler.com/general-health/study-shows-variety-of-yoga-benefits-for-individuals-with-rheumatoid-arthritis-fibromyalgia-800522073/

No comments:

Post a Comment