Monday, June 20, 2011

Oh, Splenda!

I just read an article this morning that was disheartening.  I've heard for years about artificial sweeteners being bad for you, but I'd also heard they were okay, and hey, I'm already giving up so much!!!  Don't make me give up diet A&W, too!  Well, this article has me convinced that I at least need to do an experiment avoiding all sweetners.  I'm not starting it until the end of July or so, because I'd like my daughter to do it with me (and I'm the one that convinced her to drink diet soda for her blood sugar!).  But, I thought I'd post the link to the article here and quote the things that disturbed me the most.

I actually forwarded the article on Facebook, and a friend of mine said in Japan, they consider Splenda a poison and won't approve it for human consumption.  Lovely!

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/06/20/absurd-new-ways-splenda-is-deceiving-you.aspx

From the study (yes, I know I'm not using MLA formatting here; had I mentioned that I'm an English professor?):

The animal study, published in the Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, found that Splenda:
  • reduced the amount of good intestinal bacteria by 50 percent
  • increased the intestinal pH level, and
  • affected a glycoprotein that can have crucial health effects, particularly if you're on certain medications
--------------
Artificial sweeteners like Splenda are commonly recommended for diabetics, since sucralose will not influence your blood sugar levels. However, what they fail to realize is that Splenda is not all sucralose… Remember, most of that packet is actually sugar—only about one percent is sucralose!
--------------

  • 100 percent of the industry funded studies supported aspartame's safety, while
  • 92 percent of the independently funded studies identified at least one potential health concern
--------------

The symptoms are so numerous I can't include them all, but the following are common symptoms, usually noticed within a 24-hour period following consumption of a Splenda product:
Skin -- Redness, itching, swelling, blistering, weeping, crusting, rash, eruptions, or hives (itchy bumps or welts
Nose -- Stuffy nose, runny nose (clear, thin discharge), sneezing
Heart -- Palpitations or fluttering
Lungs -- Wheezing, tightness, cough, or shortness of breath
Eyes -- Red (bloodshot), itchy, swollen, or watery
Joints -- Joint pains or aches
Head -- Swelling of the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, or throat; headaches and migraines (severe headaches)
Stomach -- Bloating, gas, pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or bloody diarrhea
Neurological -- Anxiety, dizziness, spaced-out sensation, depression

--------------
--------------

Gee, a lot of those sound like fibro symptoms, don't they?  I'll post on my experiment when I decide to do it.  Maybe I'll do it without my daughter, after all.  I have to mentally prep for this, though.  Give me at least a few days.
  

2 comments:

  1. You can do it! I've cut drastically down on sweets, have never really had soda except for a treat once in a while, and have always stayed away from ANY kind of artificial sweetener. I have to say, though, I have a pretty bad sweet tooth, lol. It's worth it, though. Just regular granulated sugar isn't good for you (and causes a lot of fibro-like symptoms) so I can only imagine how horrific the artificial stuff can be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regular sugar hurts like nothing else, and that's besides messing up my blood sugar. If the artificial sweeteners are bothering me, I can't tell. But, as soon as I'm sure my body is not having any more withdrawal or adjustment- I don't think it is, but I want to give it a couple more days, at least- I will do the off-sweeteners experiment and write about what I find out.

    ReplyDelete