Sunday, August 28, 2011

Stuffed Mushrooms and Self-Challenges

I love stuffed mushrooms, but the recipe I grew up with requires breadcrumb.  These don't, and they're delicious.  For my daughter, who doesn't like mushrooms, I just didn't add the stems in the mix and made "invisible" mushrooms for her- blobs of the filling on the pan.  I got this recipe from my cousin, Meredith, who got it from thepioneerwoman.com.


Stuffed Mushrooms

  |    |    |  

Ingredients

  • 24 ounces, weight White Button Mushrooms
  • 1/3 pound Hot Pork Sausage (or ground beef)
  • 1/2 whole Medium Onion, Finely Diced
  • 4 cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
  • 1/3 cup Dry White Wine
  • 8 ounces, weight Cream Cheese
  • 1 whole Egg Yolk
  • 3/4 cups Parmesan Cheese, Grated
  • Salt And Pepper, to taste

Preparation Instructions

Wipe off or wash mushrooms in cold water. Pop out stems, reserving both parts.
Chop mushroom stems finely and set aside.
Brown and crumble sausage or beef. Set aside on a plate to cool.
Add onions and garlic to the same skillet; cook for 2 minutes over medium low heat.
Pour in wine to deglaze pan, allow liquid to evaporate.
Add in chopped mushroom stems, stir to cook for 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set mixture aside on a plate to cool.
In a bowl, combine cream cheese and egg yolk. Stir together with Parmesan cheese.
Add cooled sausage and cooled mushroom stems. Stir mixture together and refrigerate for a short time to firm up.
Smear mixture into the cavity of each mushroom, creating a sizable mound over the top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Allow to cool at least ten minutes before serving; the stuffed mushrooms taste better when not piping hot.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, the insurance at the university where I work has issued a challenge for six weeks: 
-walk 10,000 steps a day
-drink 64 oz. of water a day
-talk to a friend every day (easy)
-eat a healthy snack every day (easy)
-use technology (computer, tv, games) for 2 hrs or less, besides for work  

I didn't realize how hard it is to get 10,000 steps in unless I'm going to the gym.  I did park at the far end of the parking lot the farthest distance from my office for half the week, but even with that, I had to do something more than that to get my time in.  Three days of the week I have an extra hour between classes, so one of the days I just went for a long walk around the neighborhood adjoining the university.  That was nice, but it won't be practical every day.  During the summer, I was a gym junky, but I find it very difficult to get a routine going during the school year- my work load builds up, I have less time with my daughter (so I don't like taking evening time to go to a zumba class), and I don't do well early in the morning, and the classes they do have don't mesh with when would work for me.   I can go walking on the track at the PE building, but that gets boring and I give up when I'm bored. I wish they had zumba and such at the university itself, but it's a small campus, so there aren't classes like that, the same way they have it at a gym.  And each part of the university gym is a la carte; I find it a bit confusing, honestly.  I have some Wii games, like Wii Fit, but I'm inconsistent on my own.  I need to come up with a solution this week!

As far as water, I did find out that 20% of the water goal can come through foods.  Whew.  Also, I was somewhere recently and dying of thirst and bought an Aquafina- I never had that brand.  I love it!  It almost tastes sweet.  That has helped me down more in a day.  I still have a hard time believing someone 5'0" needs the same amount of water as someone 6'0", though!

The technology one has been hard.  I've been fatigued lately, which justifies me being on the computer more (of course it does), and my daughter and I like to watch Bones episodes while we're doing other things.  We're on a Bones' kick, in fact.  We watch it on Netflix, so we're behind, like in most series.  We just watched the one that explained who Gormogon and his assistant were.  We both cried.  Wow- devastating.

The point is, having the goal helps me at least have a clue what I'm doing, even if I'm not reaching the goal all the time. 

Well, that's me, checking in.  I don't know how often I will write now that the semester has started, although I am better organized during the school year, sadly, than during the summer. I did find a couple of good recipe books that I will look through soon, so I can add some more recipes on here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment